Site Visit Report
- Medical Director: Dr. Harald Stossier
- Location: Maria Worth, Austria
- Date of visit: April 28, 2008
- Web site: Viva Modern Mayr Medicine
- Site visitors: Ferdinando Pisani and Emory Oney
The clinic is located in the mountains near Klagenfurt-Worthersee in Maria Worth, Austria. The clinic provides care on an inpatient basis with patients staying in 40 units at the clinic. It is open eleven months of the year, closing for December.
Philosophy/Type of Treatment
The therapy at the clinic is called Modern Mayr Medicine and is based on the work of F. X. Mayr, M.D. (1875–1965) Dr. Mayr's work was about the link between digestion, intestinal health and overall health. According to Dr. Mayr, "The intestines are to man what the roots are to the plant. Only when the roots are kept in an optimal condition of nourishment and cleanliness, can the plant (man) itself thrive and remain healthy."
Dr. Mayr contended that the body is not built on what it ingests but solely on what it digests and absorbs. He also thought there was a direct link between intestinal health, cleanliness, overall health, and beauty, as evidenced by smoothness of skin.
According to Dr. Mayr, the following damage health and skin:
- Too much food for the body's energetic requirements
- Food that is not properly (insufficiently) chewed and thus not pre-digested
- Food that overburdens individual digestive capacities or is hard to digest, such as too much raw food, whole grains and cabbage
- Unwholesome processed foods, recreational drugs, sugar, cigarettes and alcohol
- Food consumed at the wrong time (such as late at night).
The process for the damage to health and skin according to Dr. Mayr is too much food overburdening the digestive tract, which is unable to digest it. The undigested food will fall prey to alcoholic fermentation and putrefaction with the toxic by-products of these processes flooding the body via its internal pathways.
Dr. Mayr established his own detailed diagnostic system based on bodily signs readable from the condition of facial skin as well as the physical posture.
He then developed an intensive but gentle detoxification program called intestinal rest. The process takes place over several days or weeks and is designed to help cleanse the digestive tract while simultaneously reeducating the taste buds and acquiring healthy eating habits. As a cure or as preventative health action it is already popular in German-speaking countries.
Information on Dr. Mayr was obtained from Dr. F.X. Mayr’s research into the link between nutrition, dietary habits, intestinal/digestive function and overall health & beauty) by Ulla, designer of Healing Cancer Naturally ©2006.
The Viva Modern Mayr Medicine Clinic takes the Mayr therapy to the next level by using modern alternative therapy in addition, such as applied kinesiology, orthomolecular medicine and hyperthermia. Under the direction of Dr. Stossier, the facility is designed to be a holiday retreat a well as a clinic. According to Dr. Stossier, “modern and exclusive holiday enjoyment and a stay at a health center no longer stand in contrast to one another.”
Dr. Stossier made several points while elaborating on Dr. Mayr's therapy methods and their use at the clinic. Food is an important part of the therapy so clinic staff members teach patients how to prepare healthy food that also tastes good. Patients are also taught how to chew properly. Water and other liquids are not served with the meal because, according to Dr. Stossier, they would wash away saliva just when it most needed.
Cost of an initial visit is approximately 130 euros ($185); specific treatments range from 12 euros ($17) to 125 euros ($178).
Medical Conditions Treated Include
- Chronic stomach and intestinal illness (ulcers, constipation and diarrhea, colitis, Crohn's disease, nutritional disturbances, flatulence)
- Heart and blood vessel illnesses such as atherosclerosis, angina pectoris, hypertension
- Allergies, in particular hidden food allergies, which clinic staff members believe claim are the underlying causes of asthma, neuro-dermititis, chronic sinusitis and hay fever
- Susceptibility to infections and other weaknesses of the immune system – fungal and Candida yeast infections
- Rheumatism, osteoarthritis, changes in soft tissue and the spinal column, migraine and chronic pain
- Mistletoe therapy
- Complete body and local hyperthermia
- Immune-biological preparations
- Ozone and oxygen therapies
- Antioxidants, trace elements and high-doses of vitamins
- Biological cancer medicines
- Specific drainage methods
Visit the Viva Modern Mayr Medicine web site.